Senior Product Manager
About the role
As a product-led business, the product manager at Mr Yum is critical to the success of the team!
We want to protect our supportive culture between teams, always ensuring that customer facing teams truly have a product team they can lean on. Our super power at Mr Yum is this super close relationship between product and non-product teams!
Our internal team is our number 1 customer for a product manager, prioritised ahead of venues.
We want to stand out by doing what we say - being transparent and clear with customers on our product roadmap. Under promise and over deliver.
You'll be working most closely with Kim (our CEO and product owner), Andrei (our CTO), Daragh (Product Manager) and our passionate team of software developers.
About Mr Yum - Recap of 2020
Hi, we’re Mr Yum 👋
Hospitality & entertainment are tough industries where margins are slim and even more challenging now through COVID. We started Mr Yum at the end of 2018 to help venues make the numbers work. Our product is a QR code visual menu, ordering, payment platform with options for dine-in orders, pickup takeaway and delivery. Mr Yum empowers businesses to own and understand their customers, increase spend and allow their staff to focus on meaningful interactions rather than transactional ones.
In 2020, we grew 25x, found product market fit, built a trusted brand and proved out strong unit economics. Read more at our Mr Yum 2020 Recap
With your help, we have ambitious goals to scale the business (locally & internationally!) this year by building the most beautiful, powerful tools for our customers. Our B2B customers range from national venue groups including Australian Venue Co, airports, stadiums all the way to boutique hotels and family-run restaurants.
Our team is made up of over 40 kind and driven humans working out of Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and The Philippines.
The day to day tasks of this role involve:
- Be the gel between the product team and the non-product team. This is our super power at Mr Yum so keeping this tight is a huge priority.
- Schedule tasks into sprints with feedback based on the roadmap, in collaboration with Kim & Andrei
- Ensuring on-time delivery of tasks in a sprint, and adjusting sprint tasks and timelines as needed
- Manage the feature scoping process - from "idea" phase, stakeholder engagement, UX wire-framing, and design; through to creating and delivering tasks.
- Facilitating high developer effectiveness, by ensuring tasks are well-defined ahead of time. This includes facilitating scoping and kick-off sessions, organising designs, and creating tasks
- Write internal and externally-facing walkthroughs and how-to docs and facilitating handover between the product and integrations teams.
- Ensure every product-related issue is logged, prioritised, closed out and communicated to customer (could be via AM or support). This may become a different role in the end but it is really important for the PM to know the quality of the work being deployed.
- First point of contact for feature requests - understand why this is required and how many venues would benefit from this.
- Communicate product updates to the team, including hosting product demos for big features; communicate product updates to customers and work with marketing and the venue comms team.
- Provide relevant product roadmaps to the sales and accounts teams, so they can excite and prepare customers.
- Have an eye on competitive products in market to ensure the Mr Yum product remains differentiated, and best in the market.
If we’d worked with you in the past 6 weeks, here are some things you would have been involved with:
If we’d worked with you in the past 8 weeks, here are some things you would have been involved with:
- Launched Australia's first Tab feature before Christmas, in-time for functions
- Lead the collaboration of a 3, 6, 12 month product roadmap
- Reviewed and improved our exisitng product management systems, processes and communciation flows - there would be some low hanging fruit here!
- Kicked off a couple of beta programs and partnerships that are under wraps.
- Minimum 5 years experience as a product manager, preferably at a fast growth startup
- Always a few steps ahead of the team - a proactive approach to product management
- Loves executing in a fast paced environment
- Detailed enough to ensure tasks are always crystal clear
- Great at negotiating based on trade-offs to appropriately prioritise a long list of priorities
- Communicates in a thoughtful way, to ensure stakeholders have a 'heads up' so expectations are always aligned
- Able to engage and influence external partners to prioritise you. We do a ton of integrations so this requires working closely with our partners
- Passionate about product simplicity and good UX
Nice to have
- Product management leadership skills
- SQL & Technical Background
- Good eye for design
- Programming skills
- Ability to use tools like Mixpanel and Amplitude to make data-driven product decisions
- Competitive salary with ESOP (employee share option plan)
- A stocked drinks fridge, cracking open a beer on Wednesday is totally OK
- Flexible working times - most of the team start at around 10am but you can start whenever you want
- Flexibility on working from home - most of the team enjoy being in the office, our developers work remote and come in on Fridays. If you need to stay home to get some quiet time, that is totally OK too!
- A stunning office space in Collingwood - 6 minutes drive to the city, 4 minutes to the Eastern M3 and 7 mins to the Monash M1
- An awesome gym in the Melbourne HQ with everything from a squat rack to bench and free weights