Senior Communications Manager
About the role
Reporting to the Head of Marketing, we are looking for an experienced Communications professional to drive an integrated comms approach across our business, with Marketing, Sales teams and co-founders.
Your clear, consistent, breakthrough narrative for the company will attract the attention of hospitality and tech press and position Mr Yum as the leader in the industry. This is a rare opportunity to really create, own and drive a truly integrated program, where your efforts will directly impact the growth and success of the business. An ideal candidate may have led Communications at a high growth start-up before, and have agency or journalism experience under their belt.
Marketing and PR is an integral to growth at Mr Yum - early stories with publications like Broadsheet and Smart Company, and more recent Good Food and Channel 7 features have been invaluable to solidify our role in the industry. After a successful pilot with a PR agency, we've decided to bring this high visibility and high impact role in-house so the Communications Manager can represent the business from within. Our marketing function is 100% in-house, so you’ll be developing and executing Mr Yum’s PR plan (read: no marketing or PR agency!)
This role's scope will initially focus on key Australian markets (hence why local connections are key!), but will grow into an international role. 🚀
About Mr Yum - Recap of 2020
Hi, we’re Mr Yum 👋
Hospitality & entertainment are tough industries where margins are slim and even more challenging now through COVID. We started Mr Yum at the end of 2018 to help venues make the numbers work.
Our product is a QR code visual menu, ordering & payment platform. Mr Yum empowers businesses to own and understand their customers, increase spend and allow their staff to focus on meaningful interactions rather than transactional ones.
In 2020, we grew 25x, found product market fit, built a trusted brand and proved out strong unit economics. bitly.com/mryum-2020
With your help, we have ambitious goals to scale the business (locally & internationally!) this year by building the most beautiful, powerful tools for our customers. Our B2B customers range from national venue groups including Australian Venue Co, airports, stadiums all the way to boutique hotels and family-run cafes and restaurants.
Our team is made up of over 50 kind and driven humans working out of Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and The Philippines. We’re hiring this role for our beautiful Melbourne HQ — where we’re enjoying a mix of WFH and time collaborating in the office. Mr Yum is made with love in Melbourne, so this role will sit on the ‘Global’ HQ marketing team as we expand internationally.
We’re looking for the person in this role to:
- Create and manage the communications mix including creation and execution of Thought Leadership content, Product Launch and Funding campaigns, executed through Media Engagement, Customer References and Advocacy.
- Collaborate with Marketing to deliver PR results to make a bigger slash for key moments.
- Research, identify and pitch innovative stories through multiple channels and work with stakeholders to take this out to the market.
- Craft media releases and pitch stories to ensure Mr Yum's new products, team and vision are communicated with key publications at all times.
- Execute the PR strategy for key brand partnerships such as trade events, industry sponsorships and live activations, and advise on which partnerships are the best to maximise the right kind of exposure.
- Work with our Head of People to support and build the profile of our CEO and Co-Founder team, and Mr Yum's investment and hiring story.
- Actively track Mr Yum's and competitor's media coverage, as well as general industry trends and best practices. Roll out sophisticated tools and databases to achieve this.
If we’d worked with you in the past 6 weeks, here are some things you would have been involved with:
- Worked with the Product Manager to plan the media strategy for the announcement of Australia’s first Tabs feature.
- Planned 2021 trade and corporate partnerships with the Head of Marketing, including Melbourne Food and Wine, SXSW and Payment Partners.
- Ghostwritten and pitched Thought Leadership pieces on 2021 tech and food trends by Kim Teo.
- Hung out on the sunny rooftop at our Collingwood office, listening for the distant sirens at the G’.
- Created and led the Comms strategy for our latest funding round, targeting national publications across tech, finance and hospitality.
If we’d worked with you in the past 8 weeks, here are some things you would have been involved with:
You care deeply about the hospitality and entertainment industry
- Our team brings together the best tech, hospitality, marketing, finance and consulting people, all tied together for a genuine passion and interest in our industry. You’re constantly scanning your experiences at venues to think about how they could be improved, and love getting to know the operations of a restaurant.
You are excited about Mr Yum product and corporate communications
- Our product leads the category (globally, in some cases). Appreciating this, you will craft PR strategies targeting business owners, understanding their pain points and what makes them tick. You already love our UI and tone.
You’re well connected in technology and hospitality communications
- Your media contacts will be key to driving cut-through for our business. Journalists and content creators in hospo, food, startups know your name and will be excited to pick up the phone and hear what Mr Yum is up to next. You will also have experience navigating local media landscapes with the ability to proactively execute reactive media opportunities.
You eat data for breakfast 🍳
- Strategic and business-minded - you find trends in your data and look for the “so what”. Your attention to detail makes for an immaculate media releases, you will be a natural storyteller that is able to brainstorm, write and pitch unique story angles and content with confidence. Your track record of creating and executing impactful PR campaigns shows this.
You’re a do-er and accountable teammate
- You know what it's like working in high growth scale-up, bringing entrepreneurial spirit and a desire to own projects from start to finish. Experience with tech and business, and collaboration with Marketing, Product, Engineering and Executives motivates you to prioritise and execute the right tasks and work independently to #getsh*tdone.
Nice to have
This depends on your experience, but we’re proud to offer competitive salary with ESOP (employee share option plan) to all new hires. Our sunny Collingwood office is home to a gym, rooftop, stocked drinks fridge and the best new equipment to set you up for success. Expect autonomy and responsibility, solving problems you've never imagined even existed, at high pace.
Mr Yum provides 4 weeks paid vacation, flexibility to take extra unpaid leave, and day-to-day work times to suit your routine (most people start around 10am).
Diversity and Inclusion Commitment
We’re committed to growing and empowering an inclusive Mr Yum community. That’s why we actively encourage applications from applications from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. If you require accessibility assistance at any stage of the process, please let us know.