About the role
Mr Yum's financial controller reports to the CEO and is responsible for managing the financial and accounting operations of a growing startup. If you have experience supporting a startup through exponential growth and capital raises, with a strategic-mind and a love for numbers, we'd love to meet you.
This is the first finance role in the company so there will be an exciting mix of commercial strategy, board reports, support on investor updates as well as compliance and reporting. We work with an awesome bookkeeper and accounting firm so there is external support too.
About Mr Yum - Recap of 2020
Hi, we’re Mr Yum 👋
Hospitality & entertainment are tough industries where margins are slim and even more challenging now through COVID. We started Mr Yum at the end of 2018 to help venues make the numbers work.Our product is a QR code visual menu, ordering & payment platform with options for dine-in orders, pickup takeaway and delivery. Mr Yum empowers businesses to own and understand their customers, increase spend and allow their staff to focus on meaningful interactions rather than transactional ones.
In 2020, we grew 25x, found product market fit, built a trusted brand and proved out strong unit economics. Read more at our Mr Yum 2020 Recap
With your help, we have ambitious goals to scale the business (locally & internationally!) this year by building the most beautiful, powerful tools for our customers. Our B2B customers range from national venue groups including Australian Venue Co, airports, stadiums all the way to boutique hotels and family-run restaurants.
Our team is made up of over 40 kind and driven humans working out of Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and The Philippines. We’re hiring this role for our beautiful Melbourne HQ — where we’re enjoying a mix of WFH and time collaborating in the office. Mr Yum is made with love in Melbourne, so this role will sit on the ‘Global’ HQ marketing team as we expand internationally.
Sold? Let us tell you a bit about the role:
- Prepare financial and board reports
- Preparation of timely and accurate financial statements and annual reports (with the accountants)
- Particiapte in budgeting and forecasting processes
- Ensuring compliance to statutory law, finance, and tax regulations
- Maintenance and documentation of accounting procedures & policies
- Maintaining relationships with external accountants and banks
- Identifying areas to improve business efficiencies and reduce costs
- Support with payroll
- Processing invoices and approving payments
- Working closely with Leadership team to deliver reports, analysis findings, potential risk areas and forecast opportunities
If we’d worked with you in the past 6 weeks, here are some things you would have been involved with:
If we’d worked with you in the past 8 weeks, here are some things you would have been involved with:
- Minimum 5 years experience in related roles
- Proven experience in finance management
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures
- Great at figuring out the 'how' when set a challenge
- Energetic and motivated personality with great multi-tasking
- Excellent organisation and administration skills
Nice to have
- Experience with a fast growing startup that has been through successful capital raises
- Professional accounting qualification such as CA or CPA
- A stunning office space in Collingwood - 6 minutes drive to the city, 4 minutes to the Eastern M3 and 7 mins to the Monash M1
- An awesome gym in the Melbourne HQ with everything from a squat rack to bench and free weights
- A stocked drinks fridge, cracking open a beer on Wednesday is totally OK
- Flexible working times - most of the team start at around 10am but you can start whenever you want
- Flexibility on working from home - most of the team enjoy being in the office, our developers work remote and come in on Fridays. If you need to stay home to get some quiet time, that is totally OK too!